Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Six

Empathy and Compelling Experiences

Throughout last weeks discussions on films and ads I have realized that empathy plays a huge part in creating a compelling experience. Both the clips - My Best Friend's Wedding & Doritos commerical - failed to illicit any type of response from me what so ever. Unlike my classmates I was'nt moved by the acting or directing in MBFW nor was I overly joyed by the Doritos commerical. I acknowledge that both examples were aesthetic and professionally done, though within the paramaters of the design I found little in common with the characters.

This can translate into the classrom and make a suggestion to why some children pay more attention to subjects than others. Some may have an interest in it, while others may not. I don't believe as educators it is our responsibility to force feed students information. Though there are certain topics that students should try and grasp whether or not they hold any interest.

As teachers we may be able to overcome motivational issues in students by working to create compelling experiences for all the students in the class. We can accomplish this by taking a survey in the beginning of the semester to identify the interests of each student and working to shape assignments toward each student's particular interest

No comments:

Post a Comment