Fashion
I had to think long and hard about the contributions fashion has made to my life. And then I remembered the once fine fitting tailored shirt I used to wear and how it made me feel more sophisticated than I actually I was.
Though through the media fashion is given an air of self-indulgence, it really is a form of expression, in which we convey our personal meanings to the world.
Some fashion can be more appealing to others, but the important point is if whether or not it is important to the person wearing it.
In this sense, fashion can speak volumes about education. Even teachers can easily pass judgments on the styles of learning or communication in their students. It's crucial to remember that we all have different styles; styles of dress, styles of music, styles of learning. There is no right or wrong, better or worse. I think education needs to quickly move away from wanting all our students to think the same and pursue more individual experiences, embracing diversity and creativity a long the way. Our world is calling for creative action.
Friday, March 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment